IBF orders Moses Itauma to negotiate with Frank Sanchez for vacant heavyweight title
Briton Moses Itauma must hold talks with Cuba's Frank Sanchez for the IBF title after Oleksandr Usyk vacated.

The IBF has ordered unbeaten British heavyweight Moses Itauma to enter negotiations with Cuba's Frank Sanchez for the vacant world title, following Oleksandr Usyk's decision to relinquish his championship belts last week.
Itauma, 21, is the IBF's number three contender and has won all 14 professional fights, 12 inside the distance. Sanchez sits atop the IBF rankings, making him the mandatory challenger for the vacant belt. The IBF stated it wants the pair to fight 'in accordance with IBF championship rules'.
Scheduled fight in doubt
Itauma is already due to face Croatia's Filip Hrgovic at London's O2 Arena on 29 August, a bout he has described as his 'toughest fight'. He now faces a choice: withdraw from that contest to pursue the title shot, or face Sanchez after the Hrgovic fight. Queensberry, his promoter, has been contacted for comment.
- Itauma (14-0, 12 KOs) stopped Jermaine Franklin in five rounds in March.
- Sanchez (24-0, 17 KOs) is the IBF's No. 1 contender.
- Usyk vacated the IBF, WBA 'super' and WBC belts after being ordered to face mandatory challengers.
- The WBC has upgraded interim champion Agit Kabayel to full champion.
- Usyk is now free to choose his next opponent after being granted an exemption.
What's next
The IBF will monitor negotiations closely. If Itauma and Sanchez cannot reach an agreement, a purse bid could be ordered. Meanwhile, Itauma must decide whether to prioritise the title opportunity or honour his existing commitment against Hrgovic.
Related stories

Promoter: Joshua vs Itauma in Nigeria could surpass 'Rumble in the Jungle'
Nigerian promoter Dr Ezekiel Adamu says a fight between Anthony Joshua and Moses Itauma in Nigeria would be bigger than Ali-Foreman.

Dubois blasts 'joker' Turhan, eyes Han bout by end of 2026
Unified lightweight champion Caroline Dubois criticises IBF titleholder Elif Nur Turhan, targets Stephanie Han next.

Hrgovic Reveals WBO Title Shot Clause Ahead of Itauma Clash
Filip Hrgovic says his contract guarantees a WBO heavyweight title fight against Daniel Dubois if he beats Moses Itauma on August 29.